Category: St Lawrence River

Mystery Solved hmmm…..

The lengendary Mary Ann a sloop many people searched for and still are searching for, at least 2 teams of diver cliques on the US side have invested over 20 grand in stuff to help. Lots of stuff they have found but only things of coolness and or great depth get talked about. 50/50 solution perhaps or jam vs jelly? Still cool for me when I get to add a check in the box in my research for the area. This time a delete still done to 224 suspected sites :D.  OK lets solve something else.  Enjoy the read and if your collecting data and want to help, feel free to contact me.

ROTHESAY

1889: ROTHESAY, a wooden sidewheel passenger vessel, collided with the tug MYRA in the St. Lawrence between Kingston and Prescott. The latter sank with the loss of 2 lives. The former was beached on the Canadian shore where it settled and was abandoned. The wreck was dynamited in 1901 and part of it remains on the bottom in 35 feet of water.

Sidewheel steamer ROTHESAY, registered at the port of Prescott; and bound from Brockville to Prescott on September 12, 1989 collided with the tug MYRA, a 1/4 mile above Prescott. A total loss. Vessel was 22 years of age and her loss valued at $1,500.
Statement of Wreck & Casualty, 1889
Department of Marine & Fisheries

. . . . .

Prescott, Ont. – The excursion steamer ROTHESAY collided last night with the tug MYRA of Ogdensburg. The MYRA sunk and the ROTHESAY was beached, the 60 passengers escaping. Samuel Jardine and Wm. Sullivan, of the MYRA were drowned.
Buffalo Evening News
Friday, September 13, 1889

. . . . .

THE “ROTHESAY” COLLISION – Prescott, Sept. 19 – The firm of John Donnely & Son, Wreckers, of Kingston, have the contract for raising the tug MYRA, which was sunk in collision with the steamer ROTHESAY on the evening of the 12th. inst. and will commence operations at once. The body of Samuel Jarden, an engineer on the ill-fated tug, was found this morning about one mile below this town in a fearfully scalded state. An inquest will be held this evening. The body of fireman Wm. Sullivan has not been recovered yet. The ROTHESAY is still lying in the same position as when beached. No arrangements have been made for raising her as yet.
Toronto Globe
Friday, September 20, 1889

. . . . .

The wrecked steamer ROTHESAY is in the same position, with stern down in the mud. The boats owners have turned her over to the Insurance Company. She was inspected by Capt. Donnelly of Kingston, and other well known wreckers. Some of these gentlemen were of the opinion that the ROTHESAY could be put on the Marine Railway for $3,000. The stories being told as to the hull, Captain McLeod brands as falsehoods. He says during the past summer he carefully examined the ROTHESAY and found her in such excellent condition, as to warrant him rating her B 1.
Toronto Globe
Saturday, September 21, 1889

. . . . .

The steamer ROTHSEY has been considerably racked by winds, and unless raised immediately will go to pieces. Her upper works are caving in, the staunchions are giving way, the hurricane deck is beginning to lop, and a general caving in is liable to take place should a heavy sea set in. The insurance companies offer her for sale to the highest bidder.
Toronto Globe
Tuesday, October 8, 1889

. . . . .

In legal parlance the old hulk of the steamer ROTHESAY has been “arrested,” on the grounds that she is rapidly deteriorating, and if repaired, would be unsafe for the transport of freight or passengers. The crew has claims to the amount of $1,300 and a general claim for $250.
Toronto Globe
Saturday, October 12, 1889

. . . . .

IN THE MARITIME COURT OF ONTARIO
John Lasha and others, Plaintiffs, against the steamship ROTHESAY
Pursuant to the order of this honorable court, herein dated 21, Oct. 1889, and the commision of sale issued pursuant thereto, the steamship ROTHESAY, together with her furniture, cables, anchors, and small boats, will be sold at Public Auction, by James Robertson, Deputy Sheriff of the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville on Wednesday the 30th. day of October 1889 at the Town Hall of Prescott.
Toronto Globe (Advert)
Thursday, October 24, 1889

. . . . .

The captain and crew of the steamer ROTHESAY, have received their pay, $1,300.
Toronto Globe
Monday, October 28, 1889

. . . . .

Kingston, Ont., Nov. 12 – The Donnelly Wrecking Company has purchased the steamer ROTHESAY, sunk near Prescott. They will raise her and use her for excursion purposes.
The Marine Review
November 12, 1891

. . . . .

Brockville, Nov. 16. – The steamer ROTHESAY, ashore near Prescott, is rapidly breaking up. Nothing has yet been done towards raising her.
Toronto Globe
Saturday, November 29, 1902

. . . . .

The sunken steamer ROTHESAY was blown up at Prescott by R.M.C. officers. The wreck was considered a dangerous navigational obstruction. Cost $368.96
Removal of Obstructions
Marine & Fisheries Report
Sessional Papers, Federal
2-3 Edward V111.,A. 1893

. . . . .

The wreck of the steamer ROTHESAY which lay in about 25 feet of water, 500 feet from shore, in the bay between the upper wharf at Prescott and the wharf at McCarthy’s Brewery, has been blown up under the direction of Capt. C.D.O. Symond R. E. acting for the Dep. of Marine & Fisheries of Canada, and no portion of the wreckage now remains within 20 feet of the surface of the water.
Toronto Globe
Monday, November 18, 1889

. . . . .

THE ROTHESAY FOUND?
A Baldwinsville Businessman and three fellow members of the Syracuse Skin Divers Club recently discovered what is believed to be the hulk of a cruise ship which sank in the St. Lawrence River near Ogdensburg some 72 years ago.
The quartet recovered a set of matched anchors, weighing about 650 pounds apiece, there considered to be quite a “find” among amateur salvagers.
Theodore (Ted) White of Parkway Dr., Baldwinsville, known widely in the area through White Signs Co., was accompanied on the expedition by James Sprague, Philip Keneson and Philip Volmer, all of Syracuse.
The matched pair of anchors, believed to date to the War of 1812, are now at the White Signs building on River Rd., Town of Lysander. They are destined to decorate the grounds of The Castaways Restaurant at Brewerton, according to Mr. White.
While identity of the wreckage has been open to widespread speculation in the north country, Dr. J. L. Carroll, first vice-chairman of the Ontario St. Lawrence Development Commission produced a photo and information of the steamer ROTHESAY, which sank in 1890 after colliding with a tug boat. Mr. White said that the sunken bulk resembles the photo and that he is satisfied the wreck is that of the ROTHESAY.
According to information gathered so far, Mr. White said the ROTHESAY was a 200 foot cruise ship, originally used on the River Clyde in Scotland. She was transferred to the St. Lawrence River service in 1887.
On the down run from Kingston to Prescott in 1690, the side-wheeler collided with a tug boat the MYRA or MOIRE. The ROTHESAY was returning from the Thousand Islands late at night while on a moonlight excursion trip when the collision occurred.
The captain and chief of the tugboat were drowned, and attempts to beach the excursion vessel on the Prescott shore proved futile.
The ROTHESAY was considered at that period in river history to be one of the most palatial of St. Lawrence passenger ships.
Mr. White said the ROTHESAY lies in about 35 feet of water. At the time of her sinking, most of the navigational equipment was salvaged, but heavier gear remained aboard, probably because modern salvage and skin diving gear was not available in those days.
White said time and current have worked the hulk into deeper water. For the most part, he said, the lower portion of the ship is still intact. It is kept company in its silent grave by numerous eels and a family of bass. Some pottery was found, marked “Parisienne Granite.”
White said he and his companions raised the heavy anchors by use of 55 gallon drums, which floated the prizes when filled with air.
Baldwinsville Messenger, August 10, 1962
Inland Seas
Winter, 1962
. . . . .

To the Editor, Inland Seas:
I, for one, am convinced that the wreck explored by the Syracuse Skin Divers Club (See INLAND SEAS, Winier 1962, p. 329) in not the steamer Rothesay. Here are my reasons for disagreeing with the story.
To begin with, the Rothesay was not a cruise ship, nor was she built on the River Clyde in Scotland. Instead she was a river steamer, built for day trips on the St. John River between St. John and Fredericton, New Brunswick.
Rothesay was built by J. and S. E. Oliver at their shipyard at St. John, N. B., being launched there February 2, 1867. On July 20, 1877, registry was transferred from Fredericton, N. B., to Prescott, Ontario. MacDonald and Lunt, owners, put her on the Toronto-Niagara River run in 1878 and continued the operation for the following two years, finishing on September 15, 1880. The following Spring Rothesay collided with the tug Myra a few miles above Prescott, Ontario. The Myra sank and Rothesay was beached and later sank in shoal water. The wreck was abandoned as worthless and was stripped of everything of value. In 1901 the hulk was blown up by officers from the Royal Military College at Kingston, the cost to the Canadian Government being $368.00. The wreck was then lying 1/4 mile offshore. (Sec picture, this journal, p. 40.)
Now about the anchors found at the wreck. A close look at the picture (p. 297) will show that the anchor is stowed inboard, on an anchor table with the stock (cross arm) outside, the shank resting on the bulwark cap. This type anchor war not in existence during the War of 1812. In that period the stock was made of wood and was firmly fixed in place. The anchor shown has a metal stock which could slide back and forth through the shank.
I also think that the author of the story has confused the Rothesay with another steamer, namely, the iron side-wheel steamer Rothesay Castle, built at Renfrew, Scotland, in 1861, and brought over as a blockade runner for the Confederate States during the Civil War. She was brought to Lake Ontario and renamed Southern Belle, April 1876.
Another wreck in the vicinity is the American steamer Toltec. This steamer burned and sank near Prescott on September 4, 1919. The Toltic, also about 200 feet in length would have the same style anchors as shown in the picture of Rothesay. Another look at the wreck might convince the divers that they had found the propeller Toltic instead of the side wheeler Rothesay.
CAPTAIN FRANK E. HAMILTON
Inland Seas
Spring 1963

Conestoga

History
The steamer Conestoga was built by Quale & Son of Cleveland for Anchor conestogaLine and launched July 6, 1878. A considerable amount of money, technical design and skill went into construction, as evidenced by the description in the Cleveland Daily Plain Dealer on July 8, 1878: “Fitted out in all proportions with a care to strength, durability and beautyÖ it is estimated that her cost will be near $90,000.00. The Conestoga was powered by a steeple compound engine capable of a speed of 8 knots.

The upper portion of the steeple engine protrudes above the river, marking the site. She sank on May 22, 1922 outside Lock 28 of the Old Galop Canal, one mile east of Cardinal, Ontario. A fire broke out in the engine room while awaiting passage at the lock. The ship was flushed from the Lock and allowed to ground and sink in her present position. Loss was estimated at $200,000.00. She was carrying 30,000 bushels of wheat, much of which was salvaged.

 

smokestack

Location
Take exit 730 from highway 401 and head South on Shanly Road straight past the Highway 2 intersection until you are in the parking lot of the Legion building. Take the tiny unpaved road west of the building which passes between a waterfront beach/park and a small canal. Park your car near the ship’s smokestack, which can be seen protruding from the surface about 50 feet (14 meters) from shore.

A.E. Vickery

Vessel NameJ. B. PENFIELD NationalityU.S. Official Number13330 RigSchooner Dimensions and TonnageVessel Length:136.00 feet.Gross Tonnage:291.84 Vessel Width:26.00 feetNet Tonnage:0.00 Vessel Depth:10.00 feetHull Material:Wood Masts:2 Hull Number: Item Number:  Image Size: 0 bytes

Vessel HistoryBuilder      Three Mile Bay, NY    1861

Ownership ChangesDateRegistryOfficial #Duncan M. Callum

Oswego,  NY  U.S. 1861- 1867 U.S. 13330 J. S. Lyon

Oswego,  NY  U.S. 1867- 1873 U.S. 13330 J. Wm. Ball

Cleveland,  OH  U.S. 1873- 1875 U.S. 13330 J. Hanson

Chicago,  IL  U.S. 1875- 1881 U.S. 13330 A. O. Hanson

Chicago,  IL  U.S. 1881- 1883 U.S. 13330 Frank T. Cole

Chicago,  IL  U.S. 1883- 1884 U.S. 13330 J. Y. Vickery

Chicago,  IL  U.S. 1884- 1889 U.S. 13330

Vessel Name ChangesDateRegistryOfficial #VICKERY, A. E. 1884- 1889 U.S. 13330

RebuildsRerigged in 1881 to a three masted schooner.HistoryNo Vessel History AvailableDispositionStruck a shoal near the Rock Island light house opposite the Thousand Island Park N44 16 8210  W76 01 1830 on August 15, 1889 and sank. She was carrying 21,000 bushels of corn from Chicago, IL, to Prescott, Ontario. There was no loss of life.

Henry C Daryaw aka Oakbay

MAN MISSING AND 18 ESCAPE AS SHIP SINKS.

Think Fireman Of Collier HENRY C. DARYAW, Trapped In Boiler Room.

WENT ON SHOAL IN A FOG.

Brockville, Nov. 21. -(Special) – Eighteen members of the collier HENRY C. DARYAW, were saved and a fireman, Robert Groteau, 29, of Montbello, Que., was believed drowned when the craft, a collier carrying 1,200 tons of coal, foundered in a fog on a shoal six miles west of here at 5:30 A. M., and rests on the bottom of the St. Lawrence River with only a portion of her bow sticking above the water 100 yards from shore.

Groteau was believed to have been trapped in the boiler room, and Provincial police have started operations in an effort to recover the body.

The DARYAW was en-route from Sodus, N. Y., to Dalhousie, N. B., to enter the coastal trade for the winter. After she struck the shoal, the engine was reversed and the boat worked off the obstruction, but immediately filled and sank. She was in charge of Captain Hyacinth LaTraverse, Montreal.

The crew jumped to the shoal and into the icy water. One lifeboat was salvaged from the collier and with this six men at a time were rowed ashore. When all, excepting Groteau, were ashore, they made their way to No. 2 Highway and hitch-hiked to Brockville.

The crew included H. Daryaw, son of the owner, and a craneman; Aurillen Labbe, First mate; Louis Labbe, LeClairville, Que.: Seraphine Traversy, Second mate: Lucien and Bruneoux Boisevert; Albert Blanchett: Arthur Traversy, Pierreville: Charles Cobb, Portsmouth: Rene Binis and Jene Gautier, Montebello: Vincent Pratt, Sidney, N. S.: Germain Robillard, cook: Nero Dufour, cook and Arthur Petit, Chief engineer, of Montreal: Harry Nee, Second engineer, and Joseph Garrah, Kingston.

The DARYAW was built at Grand Quevilly, France in 1919 and was brought to this country by the Tree Line Navigation Company about 30 years ago and renamed OAKBAY with registry at Montreal. It was later purchased by the Daryaw’s and renamed. It is 219 feet long, beam of 35 feet and of 1,265 tons.

Toronto Telegram

November 21, 1941

. . . .

Steam screw OAKBAY.* Official Canadian Number 150837. Of 1,265 gross tons; 694 tons reg. Built at Grand Quevilly, France, in 1919. Home port, Montreal, Que. Owned by the Oakbay Steamship Co., of Montreal, Que. 219.2 x 35.0 x 13.2 and 108 horse power.

* Foreign name MARINER.

List of Vessels on Registry Books of the Dominion

of Canada on the 31st. Day of December, 1933

HENRY C. DARYAW, a bulk freighter of 1265 gross tons. Canadian Registration No. 150837. Built Grand Quevilly, France in 1919 as MARINER, became OAKBAY in 1923. of 219′ length x 35′ breadth x 13′ depth of hold. Wrecked near Brockville, Ont. November 20, 1941.

Preliminary List of Canadian Steamships

Inland & Coastal, 1809 to 1930 .

SHIP SINKS IN St. LAWRENCE, ONE OF CREW LOST. 18 SAFE.

Freighter HENRY C. DARYAW Had Been Loaned To British Shipping Ministry.

RAN ON A SHOAL.

Brockville, Nov. 21. – One man is believed to have drowned when the lake freighter HENRY C. DARYAW sank in 300 feet of water near the Brockville Narrows early today. The missing man is Robert Groteau, 29, of Montobello, Que., a fireman who was trapped in the boiler room.

Marine authorities at Kingston say the DARYAW, recently taken over by the British Shipping Ministry, was on her way to the Atlantic coast with a cargo of coal from Sodus, N. Y. Shortly after she reached the St. Lawrence River, a heavy fog made visibility almost nil and the skipper was forced to feel his way along the narrow stretch of water.

About 4 A. M. the vessel struck a shoal. The engines were reversed and the ship managed to free herself, but sank almost immediately. All but one of the 19 man crew managed to reach the Canadian shore safely. The DARYAW was in command of Capt. H. Latraverse, of Montreal.

Some of the crew jumped on the shoal and other into the water. One lifeboat was salvaged from the collier and with this, six men at a time were rowed ashore. When all were ashore, with the exception of Groteau, they made their way to No. 2 highway and hitch-hiked to Brockville. There circumstances of the wreck were related to the police, while the men dried their clothes and warmed themselves.

Captain Latraverse would not discuss the incident and ordered his crew to be silent. He had been master of the boat only two weeks.

The ship is a total loss, Marine authorities say. Formerly the OAKBAY of the Tree Line Navigation Company, the DARYAW was purchased about three years ago by Henry C. Daryaw of Kingston. The ship along with two others, were turned over to the British Shipping Ministry for Winter use in the coastal trade, and was to be returned in the Spring.

Among those on board were Henry Daryaw, Kingston, son of the owner; Charles Cobb, Portsmouth; Harry Pettit and Joseph Garrah, both of Kingston.

The HENRY C. DARYAW was built at Grand Quevilly, France, in 1919, was brought to this country about 20 years ago, and renamed the OAKBAY, purchased by Daryaw it was renamed again.

Toronto Star

November 21, 1941

. . . . .

HENRY C. DARYAW, a bulk freighter of 1265 gross tons. Canadian Registration No. 150837. Built Grand Quevilly, France in 1919 as MARINER, became OAKBAY in 1923. of 219′ length x 35′ breadth x 13′ depth of hold. Wrecked near Brockville, Ont. November 20, 1941.

Preliminary List of Canadian Steamships

Inland & Coastal, 1809 to 1930

. . . . .

November 21, 1941 the HENRY C. DARYAW, registered at the port of Montreal, struck the Buoy Shoal in the St. Lawrence River, five miles west of Brockville. She was of 694 tons register. Canadian Reg. No. 150837.

Statement of Wreck & Casualties

for 1941. Dept. of Transport

Vessel NameMARINIER NationalityFRANCE Official Number RigPropeller Dimensions and TonnageVessel Length:216.42 feet.Gross Tonnage:1146.00 Vessel Width:33.25 feetNet Tonnage:606.00 Vessel Depth:13.16 feetHull Material:Steel Masts: Hull Number:00065 Item Number: 004653

Vessel HistoryBuilder Chantier de Normandie     Grand Quevilly, France    1919

Ownership ChangesDateRegistryOfficial #French Government

Havre    France 1919- 1922 FRANCE  Oakbay Steamship Co., Ltd. (Bay Line Steamships, Ltd., Mgrs.)

Montreal,  P.Q.  Canada 1922- 1924 CANADA 150837 Oakbay Steamship Co., Ltd. (Tree Line Navigation Co., Ltd., Mgrs.)

Montreal,  P.Q.  Canada 1924- 1935 CANADA 150837 Henry Daryaw

Kingston,  Ont.  Canada 1935- 1941 CANADA 150837

Vessel Name ChangesDateRegistryOfficial #OAKBAY 1922- 1935 CANADA 150837 DARYAW, HENRY C. 1935- 1941 CANADA 150837

RebuildsCanadian measures, 1922 (219.16 x 35 x 13.16; 1265 gross – 694 registered).HistoryNo Vessel History AvailableDispositionStranded on Buoy Shoal, St. Lawrence River, six miles west of Brockville, Ontario, and slid off into deep water, November 21, 1941; one life lost. Bound for Dalhousie, New Brunswick, with cargo of coal at time of loss.

Location of wreck at Buoy Shoal #21, 5 miles west of Brockville. (in 1972)

N 44 degrees, 31 minutes, 34 seconds

W 75 degrees, 45 minutes, 45 seconds

Wreck lies upside down in about 80 feet of water with 45 feet over the wreck, hull has a gash on her starboard side extending almost a third of her length. Hull was supported at one end on the shoal and the other end on shore with deep water below her.

Eastcliffe Hall

The Eastcliffe Hall was a diesel canaller built 1954 by Canadian Vickers, Montreal (Hull #262), for Hall Corporation of Canada (later Halco). Sister Hutchcliffe, near- sister Frankcliffe b)Northcliffe (2). All were among last canallers built before opening of St Lawrence Seaway. Original dimensions 259’x43′-6″x20′-9″, later (1959) lengthened & deepened. Main cargoes at outset were pulpwood, grain, and coal, operations between lakehead & Gulf of St. Lawrence. In early morning of 14 July 1970 sank vic Crysler Shoal, St. Lawrence River (light#73) after striking abandoned light base, having strayed from main channel, with loss of nine lives. Subsequently, pig iron cargo salvaged, and wreck reduced by explosive charges

The year before the sinking of the EASTCLIFF HALL there was a range light that took you around the CRYSLER SHOAL. THe following year in the interest of saving money, (I believe) they removed the range lights that protected vessels from going over the shoal. After the incident, the light was returned to its original position! Marty
Actually, at that time there was no difference in the color of the range lights for Weaver Shoal and Gooseneck Island. The understanding is that the ship was on the Gooseneck Ranges when she should still have been on the Weaver Ranges. Doing this could have taken her over Crysler Shoal (where she may or may not have struck), and led to an early course change that landed her on Gooseneck. Today the range lights are contrasting colors.

Vessel Name: EASTCLIFFE HALL
Nationality CANADA
Official Number: 195604
Rig: Propeller

Dimensions & Tonnage
Vessel Length: 253.33 Gross Tonnage: 2140.00
Vessel Width: 43.66 Net Tonnage: 0.00
Vessel Height 19.00 Hull Material: Steel
Masts: Hull Number: 00262
Builder Information
Place of Build: Montreal, P.Q.
Builder: Canadian Vickers, Ltd.
Date of Build 1954
Ownership Changes
Owner Name Date Registry Official #
Hall Corp., of Canada, Ltd.
Montreal, P.Q. Canada 1954 – 1970 CANADA 195604
Rebuild History
Lengthened and deepened in 1959 (343.33 x 43.66 x 22.66; 3335 gross – 2614 registered).
Disposition
Struck a shoal near Crysler Shoal, St. Lawrence River, July 14, 1970, and sank quickly. Nine lives lost. Hull later leveled and filled.

The Eastcliffe Hall, al lake freighter of 2614 net registered tonnage foundered off chrysler shoal jul 14 170. To visit her today, you will need a boat for she now sits upright, bow into the current (w) in 65′ of water (45′ to her deck). She is approximentaly 300′ long and her holds are open for inspection. Many pieces of her cargo if iron ore ingots still remain scatterec about her deck.
In the interest of safe river navigation, her stern cabins and wheelhouse have been removed by explosives leaving a great deal of tangled steel wreckage about. Inside the bow however are passages and cabins which may be explored providing sufficient care is taken of course.
Because the “Hall” lies close to the regular seaway ship cannel, markers cannot be left on her and she is best found by dragging once you are sure that you are in the right area. See sketch 1. Current is strong in the area, so hang on!
This wreck near the Chrysler marina east of cornwall. Take highway 31 south from Ottawa to highway 401 and proceed east to the exit to Upper Canada village. Turn east on Hightway #2 and the entrance to the marina is about 400 yards along on your right.
Features

Dive site description Object description
Lake / river St. Lawrence River Official name Eastcliff Hall
GPS Coordinates N44 55.4630
W75 06.0270 Also known as –
Access Boat Type Freighter
Description Shipwreck Material Steel
Min. / max. depth 30-60 ft Propulsion Propeller
Visibility 15-20 ft Cargo Pig iron
Current 3-6 knots Built by / at Canadian Vickers
Shipyard Ltd.
Montreal, Quebec
Level Intermediate / Advanced Built / lauch date 1954
Thermocline No Sunk / flooded July 14th, 1970
Bottom type Sand Dimensions 343 ft x 43 ft x 22.8 ft
Boat traffic Heavy Position Upright
Hazards Traffic

lock 21

 

 

Lock 21 was the western entrance to the Cornwall Canal which ran for 11 miles along the Canadian shore of the St Lawrence river and was built to bypass the Longue Sault Rapids. The initial canal was constructed around 1840 and could only handle ships with an eight foot draft and operated for approximately 50 years. The lock that remains today was upgraded around 1898 when the entire length of the canal was deepened to handle ships with a greater draft up to 14 ft. At that time the first hydro generating station was constructed to electrify the entire length of the canal. It’s also claimed that Thomas Edison was at the opening of the new generating station and canal. The entire site was inundated with the completion of the new seaway in 1958 and the tops of the walls are now in 35 feet of water with the floor of the lock at the 60 foot level. The weir contains small gates about 4×4 feet square, two of which are still open and accessible to divers who want to experience the force of the river by getting flushed through them. At one time, initiation required that a diver swim up current through these gates, not a small feat I can assure you from personal experience. The lock gates were removed as they floated and would pose a hazard to the new generators downstream but the old wooden floor in the lock remains along with much of the hardware and machinery that controlled the weir. The handrails are still intact and offer great handholds in the stiff currents around the tops of the walls over which the river now flows. Immediately in front or behind the walls there is just enough current to keep the silt away and a slight back eddy will return a diver to the weir/entry point after a “fly through” of the lock itself.