The former sandsucker NIAGARA II was scuttled at N45 15.052 W081 36.030 as an attraction to divers off Tobermory, ON. Name: Niagara II – Steel sand sucker
Rating: Experienced open water to advanced divers
Sunk: 1999 sunk as a dive site
In 1998 the Tobermory Maritime Association was formed with the objective of obtaining and sinking a new wreck to enhance the diving opportunities in Tobermory. After an extensive search the perfect ship was found – The Niagara II. This exciting wreck was sunk in May 1999, and offers a wonderful diving experience for all levels of certification. The Niagara II lies perfectly upright in approximately 100 ft. of Georgian Bay’s crystal clear water, just east of Little Cove. The top of her wheelhouse is at a depth of 45 ft. and both the bow and stern decks lie in the 65 ft. range.
The Niagara II was originally a Steel Sand Sucker built in England, 1930. Its original name was the Rideaulite and worked for Imperial Oil running back and forth between Montreal and Ottawa. It was then renamed to the Imperial Lachine. In 1954, Toronto Dry Dock Ltd. converted it to a sand sucker and this is when it obtained the name Niagara. 30 years later, in 1984, it was renamed to the Niagara II and its engines were converted to Diesel in 1990. The owners decided to sell the Niagara II for scrap in 1997
Steam screw RIDEAULITE.* Official canada No. 155286. Of 723 gross tons. Built at Haverton Hill, Emgland, in 1930.
175.0 x 35.2 x 13.0.
* Renamed IMPERIAL LACHINE – Canada – 1947
Herman Runge List
RIDEAULITE (47) (b) IMPERIAL LACHINE (I) (54), (c) NIAGARA (69), (d) W.M.EDINGTON (155286). Ottawa River tanker. 1930 Furness Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Haverton Hill-on-Tees. 175 x 35.2 x 12.9. Gross 723, net 343. Rebuilt as sandsucker at Toronto 1954. Gross 769, net 382. Owners: l) Imperial Oil (1930-54). 2) Holden Sand & Gravel Ltd., Toronto (1954-68). 3) McNamara Marine Ltd. (1968-69). 4) Federal Equipment Quebec Ltd. Chomedy (1969). 5) Ontario-Lake Erie Sand Ltd., Oakville.