Month: April 2017

dredge MUNSON

On 30 April 1890, the wooden dredge MUNSON and two scow barges were being towed from Kingston, Ontario, by the tug EMMA MUNSON to work on the new Bay of Quinte bridge at Rossmore, Ontario, six miles west of Kingston when the dredge started listing then suddenly tipped over and sank. No lives were lost.

KEY STATS:
Ship Type: Dredge
Lifespan: Built ????, Sunk 1890
Length: 250ft
Depths: 115ft
Location: Lemoine Point, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
GPS N44.12.5690 W76.36.4960
The dredge Munson was based out of Belleville and was used for maintaining adequate water depth at harbor entrances or similar contracts. One of the most significant contracts secured for the Munson was to assure that the new schooner-barge the Minnedosa, would have an uneventful launch at Kingston on Saturday, April 26, 1890. The Minnedosa was a notable contract as she was the largest four masted Canadian sailing vessel ever built on the Great Lakes, and owned by the Montreal Transportation Company. She measured an amazing 250 ft, with a 36 ft beam; she boasted finely modeled lines that made her the talk of any seaman who laid eyes on her.

Unfortunately the most important job for the little dredge Munson, turned out to also be her last. She completed her job of dredging Kingston harbor on Wednesday April 23, 1890 and taken in tow by the tug Emma Munson along with two scows, to do construction work on the Bay of Quinte bridge in the town of Rossmore. Just off Lemoines point she was noted to be listing to one side, she had been leaking before leaving Kingston. Then when least expected she began to sink just opposite Lemoines point in 110ft of water. The towlines were quickly cut and she sank beam ends first; the cook was on board cooking dinner and scampered up after being called. He was rescued from the cold water, quite exhausted after having had to wait till the suction abated on the sinking dredge when she hit bottom, until he could surface.

The men aboard the dredge lost everything, she was valued at approximately $15,000, with the case of the sinking attributed to a plank having sprung on the bottom of the dredge. She apparently sank within 4 minutes of her listing first being noted. Diver Rick Neilson relocated the dredge Munson in 1981. Many of the artifacts have been donated to the Hastings County Museum in Belleville, Ontario, creating the beginning of their Marine heritage section.

Present day divers enjoy this well preserved wooden dredge, which sits upright in approximately 110 ft of water. Her most spectacular features are the steam shovel and the fact that she has 2 levels. The arm, which supported the shovel, was at one point entirely upright, but is now only partially articulated and rests on the lakebed with the shovel. A collection of plate’s bottles, cups, and bowls, is on display for the visiting diver to enjoy. The limitations on this wreck are most obviously the depth; therefore air consumption and time must be carefully monitored. A light layer of silt covers this wreck so good buoyancy skills are a must. This wreck is striking in its presence as it greets the divers eye on decent and is sure to remain a favorite for all that visit her.

Yesterday morning the dredge MUNSON of Belleville, which spent some days dredging for the launching of the barge MINNEDOSA, left for the bay city in tow of two small tugs. She had been leaking before leaving but it was thought that it would not amount to much. When opposite Lemoine’s Point and when the crew least expected it, she sank to the bottom, in about 100 feet of water. The tow lines were cut in order to save the tugs. The dredge went down beam end’s first. The cook, in the kitchen at the time making preparations of dinner, was told to come up but before he had run to the stairway the vessel was under water. The fellow went down but soon came up and was rescued by the crew in an exhausted state. He stated afterwards that the suction from the dredge going down kept him from coming to the surface. He had to wait until she reached the bottom. A lot of timber on her deck came up after she sank.

Daily British Whig, Kingston 
      April 30, 1890 

      . . . . . 
      
      DREDGE MUNSON SINKS AT KINGSTON. 
      Kingston, May 1. — The dredge MUNSON owned by E.A. Munson of Cobourg sank yesterday. The calamity was very sudden, as four minutes after the craft was seen to be in trouble, she sank like a stone. The three men who were on board were saved, although one of them, Wm. Green of this city, was carried down 35 feet. Loss estimated at $15,000 on which there is no insurance. As the water is 130 feet deep where the accident happened the prospect of recovering anything from the wreck is very doubtful.

Detroit Free Press 
      May 2, 1890 
      
It is likely an attempt will be made to raise the dredge MUNSON, sunk off Lemoine’s Point. 
      Daily British Whig, Kingston 
      May 12, 1890

AURANIA

 

 

AURANIA Propeller. U. S. No. 107186. Built 1895 of 3,218 Tons Gross. April 29, 1909 vessel foundered in Whitefish Bay, Lake Superior, a total loss. of twenty persons on board, no lives were lost.
Loss of U. S. Vessels Reported in
Fiscal Year 1909. M.V.U.S., 1909

. . . . .

STEAMER IS REPORTED SUNK
Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., April 30. – While it is the general opinion in marine circles today that it was the Corrigan Line steamer AURANIA which Captain Boyce of the Peavey saw sink yesterday, in Whitefish Bay, nothing definite has yet been learned. A storm is raging today over the upper lake region and it may prevent any boats getting down from Whitefish Bay today. Blinding snow accompanies the gale which is blowing.
Cleveland, O., April 30. – No word was received here today by Corrigan, McKinney & Co., who operates the steamer AURANIA, which is supposed to have foundered in the ice off the Parisian Islands, in White Fish Bay, yesterday.
The AURANIA is owned by Capt. John Corrigan of this city, she is 352 feet long and was built In 1895 as a barge but recently was converted to a steamer. Capt. Robert C. Pringle of Cleveland and a crew of 20 men were in charge of the vessel when she left Buffalo last week for Lake Superior with a cargo of coal.
Buffalo Evening News
Friday, April 30, 1909

. . . . .

VESSELS AND LIVES ARE LOST
IN STORMS AND ICE OF GREAT LAKES
TUG NESTOR WRECKED AND THE CREW DROWNED.
Steamer Russia Foundered, But those on Board Saved.
AURANIA CRUSHED IN FLOE AND WRECKED; CREW SAVED.
Detroit, May 1. — A bulletin to the Journal from Houghton, Mich., says the tug NESTOR has been sunk in Lake Superior with all hands.
RUSSIA FOUNDERS IN SUPERIOR.
Port Huron, Mich., May l.–The captain of the package freight and passenger steamer RUSSIA, owned by C. O. Duncan, of this city, telegraphed today to the owner from De Tour that his vessel had sunk in Lake Superior, 12 miles off that port, and that all of the crew were saved.
The RUSSIA plied between Port Huron and Duluth and was on her first trip of the season. She was built in 1872 and is of 1501 tons, with a length of 232 feet and a beam of 36 feet.
– – – – –
Sault Ste. Marie, May 1. — Capt. Robert C. Pringle of the Corrigan Line steamer AURANIA, arrived here today with all the members of his crew and told the story of the sinking of his ship in Whitefish Bay off the foot of Parisian Island on Thursday morning.
Capt. Pringle left here last Sunday with the AURANIA and when he reached Whitefish Bay was caught in the ice. Thursday morning Capt. Pringle discovered that his ship was leaking rapidly. The ice had crushed in her sides. Distress signals were hoisted, but Capt. Pringle declares that several ships which passed near made no effort to aid the AURANIA. It finally became apparent that the steamer was sinking. The crew climbed down to the ice, taking with them one small yawl to use in crossing the gaps in the ice field and started for the steamer J. H. BARLOW also fast in the ice three miles away. The perilous trip was made in safety, and the BARLOW eventually brought all hands here.
BUFFALO MAN IN CREW OF AURANIA,’TIS SAID
It is supposed there were a number of Buffalo men in the crew of the steamer AURANIA , lost in Whitefish Bay, as the boat wintered at the Tifft Farm and cleared April 20. At the shipping office of the Lake Carriers’ Association today it was said that the Association had no record of the crew. Capt. Robert C. Pringle of Cleveland commanded the boat when she left Buffalo with a cargo of coal for Lake Superior and Edward Cleveland of Duluth was chief engineer.
The AURANIA was one of the vessels in the Corrigan fleet of Cleveland. She was 352 feet long and 44 feet beam. Her gross tonnage was 3318 tons and her net tonnage 2899. She was built in 1895.
Buffalo Evening News
Saturday, May 1, 1909

. . . . .

DEATH AND DISASTER ON STORM SWEPT GREAT LAKES.
VESSELS LOST AND CREWS DROWNED
FEW DAYS IN HISTORY OF LAKE NAVIGATION MORE DISASTROUS.
Big Steel Lighter BATAVIA Found Deserted By Crew With Table Set For Dinner
AURANIA BATTERED TO PIECES; MEN MAKE THEIR WAY TO SAFETY.
Detroit, May 1. – Three vessels lost, one with her crew of seven men, and a fourth craft flound floating deserted on Lake Michigan, with her fate unknown, is the day’s summary of disasters from storm and ice on the great lakes.
On the bleak and rocky shores of Huron island, last night, the schooner GEORGE NESTER, of Detroit, was torn to pieces by the furious gale that swept over Lake Superior, and all of her crew of seven were lost.
On Lake Huron, lashed by the same gale, the package freighter RUSSIA, of Port Huron, succumbed to the waves after her cargo had shifted, and went to the bottom. The 22 men crew of the RUSSIA, however succeeded in safely putting over their small boats and escaping in them.
On Lake Michigan, the Ann Arbor Railway Car Ferry No. 1, picked up 19 miles south of Fox island, the big steel freighter BATAVIA, deserted by her crew and with no positive evidence as to whether they perished or were taken off the Lighter by the steamer which is believed to have towed her.
CRUSHED BY ICE.
To these three stories of marine disasters was added from Saul Ste. Marie with the arrival there of the crew of the steamer AURANIA, the first story of how she was crushed by the ice and sank , and how the members of the crew made a perilous way over nearly four miles of ice floe to the steamer J. H. BARLOW.
Bound up Lake Superior for cargo behind the steamer SCHOOLCRAFT, the schooner GEORGE NESTER met the full force of the terrific gale. Off Huron Islands, the tow line was broken and, the schooner went on the rocks. The furious waves made it impossible to launch small boats from either the schooner or the light house tender MARIGOLD, which was close behind, to go to the rescue of the seven men aboard the schooner. The NESTER went to pieces rapidly and every member of the crew was lost. The MARIGOLD made efforts to take the imperilled men off the wreck with life lines, but unsuccessfully.
The RUSSIA was bound for Duluth on her first trip of the season with a full cargo of freight, when 12 miles off Detour the RUSSIA’S cargo shifted. The steamer began to fill, Capt. John McLean of Port Huron and his crew of 22, launched their small boats into the raging sea and succeeded in saving their lives. The arrived at Detroit today.
The RUSSIA was built in 1872 and was owned by C. O. Duncan of Port Huron. For many years she sailed in the Anchor Line fleet of passenger boats and was one of the best known craft on the lakes.
It is a strange story of marine mystery which the big Ann Arbor car ferry brought into port with her today when she arrived towing behind her the big steel lighter BATAVIA, which was built in 1904 for the Lehigh Valley Transportation Company. The car ferry found the lighter tossing on the waves south of Fox Islands with no crew aboard. In the dining room was evidence that there had been a crew. The dining room table was set as for dinner.
HAWSER WAS CUT
But nothing except the severed hawser indicated a possible solution of the crew’s whereabouts. Marine men think that the evidence which the hawser bore of being cut may mean that the tug or steamer which had the lighter in tow found it necessary in the gale to cast her loose, and if so probably took off the crew before leaving the steel hulk at the mercy of the storm. Lighters of this style usually carry, marine men say crews of four to ten men.
Safe and sound, after the loss of their ship, the crew of the Corrigan steamer AURANIA came into the Soo aboard the J. H. BARTOW and told a thrilling story of their experiences. Caught fast in a great ice floe in Whitefish Bay they could only watch the relentless force bear harder and harder against the sides of their ship until they were crushed and the water poured in. When it was evident that she was doomed they left the AURANIA and took to the ice.
Carrying with them one small yawl boat with which to ferry themselves over the patches of open water in the floe, the men, headed by Capt. Robert C. Pringle, made a perilous way over to the steamer BARLOW, also held so fast in the ice four miles away that she could not go to the AURANIA’S assistance. All arrived uninjured, and were cared for aboard the BARLOW. The left Sault Ste. Marie today for Cleveland.
Buffalo Sunday Morning News
Sunday, May 2, 1909

. . . . .

WILL TRY TO FIND WRECK.
Sault Ste. Marie, June 3. – Representatives of a Milwaukee Salvage Company are here today on their way to Whitefish Point, where they will sweep the vicinity in an effort to locate the wreck of the steamer AURANIA, which sank off Parisian Islands several years ago. Owing to the number of wrecks on the bottom at this point they are expected to experience considerable trouble locating the object of their search.
Buffalo Evening News
Saturday, June 3, 1911

. . . . .

AURANIA. Built Aug. 28, 1895 Barge – steel
U. S. No. 107165. 3113 gt – 3113 nt 352′ x 44.2 x 21.9′
Converted to bulk propeller in 1899.
Sprunk leak and sank in Whitefish Bay, lake Superior, April 29, 1909, while smashing ice.
Chicago Steam Boat Co. Master Shipbuilding List
Institute for Great lakes Research
Perrysburg, Ohio

Registry and Rig Information
Vessel Name: AURANIA
Nationality: U.S.
Official Number: 107186
Rig: Barge
Dimensions and Tonnage
Length: 352.00
Width: 44.16
Depth: 21.75
Masts: 0
Gross Tonnage: 3113.00
Net Tonnage: 2999.00
Hull Material: Steel
Hull Number: 00016
Vessel History
Rebuilds: Converted to propeller by Detroit Dry Dock Co., remeasured at Detroit, MI, May 17, 1899 (3218 gross – 2899 net).
History: First enrollment issued at Cleveland, OH, August 21, 1895.
Disposition: Sprung a leak and sank in Whitefish Bay, Lake Superior, while smashing ice, April 29, 1909; no lives lost. Final enrollment surrendered at Cleveland, OH, on May 7, 1909.
Build Information

Builder: Chicago Ship Building Co.
Place Built: Chicago, IL
Year Built: 1895
Ownership Changes

Owner Date Registry Official Number
John Corrigan, et.al. 1895 – 1904 U.S. 107186
Aurania Transit Co. (John Corrigan, Mgr.) 1904 – 1909 U.S. 107186

No Comments

Categories: Lake Superior Technical Dive

Tags:

BENJAMIN NOBLE

1914 – The BENJAMIN NOBLE disappeared with all hands in Lake Superior. The wreck was finally located in 2004 and it lies 10 miles off Two Harbors, MN. The discovery was confirmed in July 2005.

LAKE BOAT DOWN WITH SCORE MEN.

STEAMER BENJAMIN NOBLE SINKS AFTER FIGHT WITH TERRIFIC STORM.

NO TRACE OF THE MEMBERS OF CREW — ONLY WRECKAGE REMAINS OF THE CRAFT.

Duluth, Minn., April 29 — Reports from the life saving crew at the head of the lakes make it practically certain that the steamer Benjamin Noble, with her officers, a crew of twenty men and a large cargo of railroad iron was sunk off Minnesota Point during the violent storm early today. Life belts, hatches, spars and oars and other wreckage were picked up this morning and efforts are being made to locate the vessel.

Was A Freighter.
The Noble was a freight vessel owned by the capital transportation company of Detroit. John A. Francombe of Detroit is the manager and D. T. Helm and company of Duluth are the local agents. The personnel of the crew is unknown to the local agents except the captain, JOHN EISINHARDT who is a new officer on the vessel.
The vessel had a capacity of 1,481 gross tons, was 239 feet in length with a 42 foot beam.
She passed up the Soo on April 25.
The Helm company wired the Detroit office this forenoon informing the owners of the wreck. No hope is entertained that any of the crew has been saved.

Fear For Others.
Great anxiety is felt in Duluth for five vessels headed for this port. All of them were overdue yesterday. These are the William H. Truesdale, Willis King, F. T. Peffelfinger, Sheldon Parks and David Z. Norton.
No word has been received of these vessels, although dilligent search by wireless has been made throughout last night and this morning.

Racine Journal News Wisconsin 1914-04-29

The steamer BENJAMIN NOBLE was launched yesterday at the Wyandotte yards of the Detroit Shipbuilding Company for the Capital Transportation Company, of Detroit. Miss Olive Elaine Noble christened the boat for her father.
Buffalo Evening News
Thursday, April 29, 1909

BENJAMIN NOBLE Built April 28, 1909 Bulk Propeller – Steel
U. S. No. 206240 1481 gt – 887 nt 239.2′ x 42.2′ x 18.8′
Foundered off Knife Island, Lake Superior, April 27, 1914; all hands (20) lost.
Detroit/Wyandotte Shipbuilding Master list
Institute for Great Lakes research
Perrysburg, Ohio.
Steam screw BENJAMIN NOBLE. U. S. No. 206240. oF 1,481 tons gross. Built 1909. On April 28, 1914, vessel foundered near Knife Island, Lake Superior, with 16 persons on board. 16 lives were lost.
Loss Reported of American Vessels
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1914

GRACE B. GRIBBLE ex CHEENEY AMES

1902 The wooden schooner barge GRACE B. GRIBBLE was holed by ice and sank in Lake Erie off Point Pelee after the hull was punctured by an ice flow. Three sailors were lost.

GRACE G. GRIBBIE
Other names : built as schooner CHEENEY AMES, renamed in ’99
Official no. : 125239
Type at loss : schooner-barge, wood, 3-mast
Build info : 1873, Lummeree, Youngstown, NY
Specs : 136x26x11 298g 283n
Date of loss : 1902, Apr 26
Place of loss : off Pt. Pelee
Lake : Erie
Type of loss : storm
Loss of life : 3 of 6
Carrying : coal
Detail : She foundered in a storm (some sources say punctured by ice). Hit bottom and broke up a mile from shore.
Sources: is,ns1,h,nsp,mv,tfgl,mpl,hcgl

Schooner CHENEY AMES changed names to GRACE G. GRIBBIE
Marine Record
April 13, 1899
Schooner CHENEY AMES. Of 284 tons. Built at Youngstown in 187. Owned by Myers. Home port, Chicago. Value $3,500. Class A 2.
Inland Lloyds vessel register, 1897

Schooner GRACE G. GRIBBIE.* U. S. No. 125239. Of 298 tons gross; 283 tons net. Built Youngstown, N.Y., 1873. Home port, Grand Haven, Mich. 136.2 x 26.0 x 10.9
* Formerly schooner CHEENY AMES
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1900

Muskegon, July 16. — The schooner CHENEY AMES, bound from Portage Entry to Chicago with building stone, was carried against the pier in trying to enter the harbor yesterday afternoon. A big hole was knocked in her bow, and she filled and sunk in the channel opposite the Life-saving station. The crew were taken off in safety. The AMES is of 284 tons register, was built at Youngstown in 1873, is rated as A 2 and valued at about $6,500. She is owned by Myers of Chicago.
Buffalo Enquirer
Saturday, July 16, 1892

The schooner CHENEY AMES was raised at Muskegon today and she is now unloading her cargo of stone.
Buffalo Enquirer
Wednesday, July 20, 1892
Manitowoc.—The schooners GEORGE BOYCE and CHENEY AMES collided in mid-lake, eight miles north of Sheboygan. The BOYCE was loaded with lumber, and bound for Chicago. The AMES was light, and bound for Escanaba. The AMES and the schooner BERTIE CALKINS left Sheboygan together, and an hour later the lookout on the AMES sighted the BOYCE, but thought it was the CALKINS and did not discover his mistake until it was too late. The damage to the BOYCE is the loss of her jibboom, and cathead. She will be repaird here. The AMES lost all her headgear, had nine stanchions broken, sprung her foremast, and her full damage cannot be estimated until a survey is held.
The Marine Record
Thurs. Nov. 24, 1887 p. 1

No Comments

Categories: Lake Eire Still Missing

GALLATIN

 

On 23 April 1882, GALLATIN (2-mast wooden schooner, 138 foot, 422 tons, built in 1863, at Oswego, New York) was carrying pig iron from St. Ignace, Michigan, to Erie, Pennsylvania, when she sprang a leak in a storm on Lake Erie. She struck bottom on Chickanolee Reef and foundered in shallow water at Point Pelee. Her crew was saved from the rigging by the fishing sloop LIZZIE.

Gallatin 2 masted schooner 138’3” x 26’2” x 12’6” 422 tons. 1863 Albert G. Cook, original owner (US #10207). Foundered 1882 off Point Pelee, Lake Erie.
Vessel Name
GALLATIN
Build Year
1863
Official Number
US 10207
Construction
Build City
Oswego
Build State
NY
Vessel Type
Schooner
Hull Materials
Wood
Builder Name
A Miller
Ownership
Original Owner
A.G. Cook
Original Owner Location
Oswego, NY
Power (Sail)
Sail Number Masts
2
Dimensions
Length
138
Beam
26
Depth
13
Tonnage Old Style
422
Final Disposition
Final Location
Near Pt. Pelee, ONT.
Lake Erie
Final Date Month
4
Final Date Day
23
Final Date Year
1882
Final How
Foundered
History and Notes
History
1871 Owned Charles Harding, Chicago

The schr. GALLATIN, grain laden from Chicago, put into Milwaukee Friday morning, leaking so badly that she will have to discharge her cargo and go into drydock for repairs. The GALLATIN was out in the gale a week ago, and was forced to return to Chicago slightly damaged.
Buffalo Commercial Advertiser
September 21, 1875 3-4
The schr. GALLATIN was Wednesday placed in drydock at Messrs. Wof & Davideson’s yard, Milwaukee, and the leak found to be caused by the oakum working out of an engraving piece under one of her bilges. Of her cargo of wheat 250 bushels were found to be wet and the balance badly damaged through heating.
Buffalo Commercial Advertiser
September 25, 1875 3-6

TOTAL LOSSES, 1882
[Inter Ocean Casualty List]
April 23. — Schooner GALLATIN founders in Lake Erie. Crew saved.
J.W. Hall Great Lakes Marine Scrapbook, December, 1882

Schooner GALLATIN, foundered Point Pelee, 1882.
Hist.’ of the Great lakes
by Mansfield

Schooner GALLATIN. U. S. No. 10207. Of 317.27. Home port, Chicago
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1871

GALLATIN Schooner, damaged by coal cars at Erie, June 1866. Property loss $2,500
Casualty List for 1866—Buffalo
Commercial Advertiser, Feb. 26, 1867
GALLATIN Schooner of 422 tons, owned at Chicago by Chas. Harding. In port at Erie Pa. was damaged by coal cars backing onto her decks, June 1866. loss to ship $2,250 insured for $1,600.
Marine Casualties on the Great Lakes
1863 to 1873 U. S. Coast Guard Report

GEORGE T. DAVIE

Located at N44 06 830 W76 34 826is The steel barge GEORGE T. DAVIE, en route from Oswego to Kingston with 1,100 tons of coal and under tow of the SALVAGE PRINCE, began leaking and sank off Nine Mile Point, Lake Ontario, in 85 feet of water. The hull was located by divers in 1999. The ship had once been part of Canada Steamship Lines. 18 april 1945

Story by Rick Neilson
“Capt. Alfred E. Brown paced restlessly in the pilothouse of the tug Salvage Prince. The cold April winds blowing across Oswego Harbour were foremost on his mind; he was anxious to get underway. Since arriving yesterday with the barge George T. Davie in tow, he had managed to get her loaded with 1,148 tons of hard coal at the Oswego coal dock. Strong winds convinced him to stay tied up in port overnight, rather than face a boisterous trip back across Lake Ontario in the dark. Now in the early morning light the skies were clear, and the winds had diminished to about six knots from the west. It was time to cast off. On being informed of his decision, James Ruth, acting master of the Davie, and the other three crew members, G. Conaghan, L. Moore and H. Moore, immediately prepared the barge for departure. Shortly after eight o’clock in the morning the Pyke Salvage tug and her consort cleared the Oswego harbour breakwater and headed north for Kingston. Although the seas were heavy from the west, the barge followed the tug well all day. After passing the Main Duck Islands their course was set for Nine Mile Point, passing west of Pigeon Island. Even after the wind and sea were noted to be “freshening,” there was no indication of danger. But this state of affairs was soon to change dramatically. According to James Ruth’s statement taken from the Shipping Casualty report, “At 2:45 p.m. with a very heavy following sea the barge seemed to begin to steer very badly indicating that she must be going by the head. Forward pump and siphon working steadily.” There were three pumps and three siphons on board, all reported as in good working order at the start of the voyage. At 3:30 p.m. the Davie was observed from the tug to shear badly to starboard, capsize and sink. The four crew members, with no time to launch the lifeboat, were thrown into the ice-cold water, but were picked up within two minutes by the Salvage Prince. For the composite barge George T. Davie it was the end of a forty-seven year career. Built in 1898 at St. Joseph de Levis, Quebec by the Davie Shipbuilding Company, her dimensions were 177.5 feet long by 35 feet wide, with a hold of 12.5 feet deep, and a registered tonnage of 680. For the most part she had an uneventful career, usually serving in the grain and coal trade on Lake Ontario and on the St. Lawrence. Although originally registered at Quebec City, after being acquired from J. R. Booth by the Montreal Transportation Company, her registry was transferred to Montreal. While owned by this company, she sank in the St. Lawrence River near Alexandria Bay in June 1911. After being raised the following year and rebuilt, she went aground at the foot of Wolfe Island. In June 1920 Canada Steamship Lines purchased the Davie from the Montreal Transportation Company. The C.S.L. soon sold her to John E. Russell of Toronto, who in turn sold her to the Sowards Coal Co. in 1926. At this time her registry was transferred to Kingston, where she entered the Collingwood Shipbuilding Company’s dry-dock that fall for a complete overhaul. In 1927 and 1928 she was being towed by the steamer Patdoris. By 1931 the Davie was employed by the Pyke Wrecking and Salvage Company, but it is not clear when ownership officially passed into their hands. Although she occasionally saw more glamorous service as a salvage lighter, her routine role in the coal-carrying trade continued until she disappeared from the surface on that cold April day in 1945. Striking on her starboard side, she still lies with her decks heeled sharply in that direction. Upon impact the weight of the coal forced the hatch covers off, and most of the cargo spilled out over the lake bottom. The crane, lying amid the coal, was formerly on the Henry Daryaw, which sank in the St. Lawrence River near Brockville in November 1941. Fastened on the roof of the intact cabin is a fresh water tank, its shape distorted by the pressure. Windows and doors allow a good view of the tangled woodwork inside. The steam-assisted steering wheel sits proudly at the stern, and the rudder is hard to port, no doubt as a result of the helmsman’s vain attempt to counteract that final sheer to starboard. The lifeboat rests near the side of the barge, not far from the crane’s clam bucket. A wooden ladder leans against the starboard bow, while high on the port bow a large anchor hangs from the hawse pipe. Leading off onto the bottom, the tow cable heads north in the direction of home.

 

Category Fleet Lists
This record was created from a CSL fleet list
SECTION A: BASIC SHIP PARTICULARS
NAME: George T. Davie
OFFICAL NO.: 107233
TYPE: B1 (St. Lawrence grain barge)
YEAR BUILT: 1898
BUILDER: G.T. Davie & Sons
COUNTRY WHERE BUILT: Canada
LBP: 177.42
BEAM: 35
MOULDED DEPTH: 12.42
GROSS TONNAGE: 680
SECTION B: OWNERSHIP/NAME CHANGES/DISPOSAL
CSL OWNERSHIP DATES:
FROM: 1921
TO: 1923
CHRONOLOGY:
YEAR VESSEL NAME OWNERSHIP/COMMENTS
1898-1905 George T. Davie John L. Davie Quebec Que. Ca.
1905-07 George T. Davie J.R. Booth Quebec Que. Ca.
1907-21 George T. Davie Montreal Transportation Co. Ltd.
Montreal Que. Ca.
1921-23 George T. Davie C.S.L.
1923-26 George T. Davie J.E. Russell Montreal Que. Ca.
1926-29 George T. Davie J.T. Sowards Montreal Que. Ca.
1929-44 George T. Davie Pike Towing & Salvage Co. Ltd.
Kingston Ont. Ca.
1944-45 George T. Davie L.R. Beaupre Kingston Ont. Ca.
18 April 1945 Capsized and sank in heavy weather 2 m. W. of Nine Mile
Point, Lake Ontario in tow Oswego-Kingstion, coal.
At times of sin King a local Kingstonian Billy Bois (pronounced
locally Booah) was the sole crew. As she went over Billy went with her
and finally sat on the keel until the salvage Prince returned to rescue
him.
This vessel was named after George Taylor Davie the famous shipbuilder
of Lauzon, Levis, Quebec and was DSL Hull No.2.
SECTION C: CONSTRUCTION
SHIPYARD: G.T. Davie & Sons
SHIPYARD LOCATION: Levis, Que.
HULL NUMBER: 2
DATE OF LAUNCH: 1898
DATE OF DELIVERY: 1898
HULL: Composite, steel framed, wood planked below W.L. steel plated
top sides and deck and hatch coamings.
HULL CONSTRUCTION: Rivetted and Bolted.
SUPERSTRUCTURE: Wood
SECTION E: ENGINE AND MECHANICAL
ENGINE TYPE: Nil
STROKE: Nil
TURBINES: Not Applicable
NUMBER OF BOILERS: 1
TYPE: LOCO. for steam auxliaries
BOW THRUSTER: Nil
STERN THRUSTER: Nil
PROPELLER: Nil
SECTION F: CARGO HANDLING CAPACITY AND FEATURES
HOLDS: 1
HATCHES PER HOLD: 24 C to C

UGANGA

located at in 185′ to 207′ 45 50.30’N / 085 03.49’W
Official Number: 25289
Vessel Built: 1892, F. Wheeler, W. Bay City hull# 88
Vessel Specifications: 291x41x20, 2053g 1709n
Type of Vessel: Wooden Steamer
Depth to Deck: 185 ft (56m)
Depth to Bottom: 207 ft (63m)
How it Sunk: Bound Milwaukee for Buffalo, struck pack ice and cut her hull. Despite frantic effort by the crew to save her she finally sank. Crew of 22 saved by steamer DONALDSON.
Loss Type: Ice
Date of Loss: 1913, Apr. 19
Place of Loss: 4 mi E of White Shoals, Western Straits
Vessel Cargo: Corn
Lives Loss: none

Buffalo, Sept. 20 – The stm. UGANDA, which went aground in
Buffalo creek at the Ohio St. bridge yesterday, was raised by
tugs this morning, after blocking navigation for 17 hours. Part
of the iron ore cargo had to be lightered. The vessel was not
injured.
Detroit Free Press
September 21, 1906 7-7

UGANDA is the name of the big wooden steamer building at the yard of F. W. Wheeler & Co., West Bay City, for James McBrier of Erie.
The Marine Review
March 3, 1892
The large wooden steamer UGANDA, building at Wheeler’s shipyard, Bay City, for Capt. John Mitchell of this city, A.J. McBrier of Erie and others, will be launched tomorrow afternoon.
Buffalo Enquirer
April 6, 1892

UGANDA Steam Propeller, U. S. Number 25289, built 1892, of 2,298 Gross Tons. On April 19, 1913, vessel foundered in Lake Michigan and became a total loss, of the 17 persons on board no lives were lost.
Loss of American Vessels Reported
during 1913. M. V. List of U. S. 1913

UGANDA Built April 12, 1892 Bulk Propeller -Wood
U. S. No. 25289 2053 gt -1708 nt 291′ x 41′ x 19.8′
Foundered April 19, 1913, in Straits of Mackinac, Lake Michigan.
Frank Wheeler & Co., West Bay City Shipbuilding Master List
Institute for Great Lakes Research
Perrysburg, Ohio

No Comments

Categories: Lake Huron Technical Dive

WILLIAM H. BARNUM

On 3 April 1894, WILLIAM H. BARNUM (wooden propeller freighter, 219 foot, 937 gross tons, built in 1873, at Detroit, Michigan) was carrying corn on her first trip of the season. She was reportedly in poor condition and was insured only for this voyage. Her hull was cut by floating ice and she sank in the Straits of Mackinac about two miles east of present Mackinac Bridge. The tug CRUSADER got her crew off before she sank.

William H. Barnum
Depth: 50′ to 75′
Dimensions: 219′ x 35′ x 21′
Cargo: Corn, from Chicago for Port Huron
Cause of Sinking: Ice damage
Built: 1873, Detroit Michigan by J.M. Jones
Date Lost: April 3, 1894
Construction: Wood
Propulsion: Steam, single cylinder, 2 boilers
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Location: N45° 44.708′ W084° 37.866′
History
Built in 1873 in Detroit MI, the wood steamer William H. Barnum, plied the Great Lakes for more than 20 years before reaching her demise. She was under the command of the 29 year old Capt. William Smith, on his first voyage as master of the Barnum when she sank. The Barnum left Chicago harbor on April Fools Day 1894 loaded with corn for Port Huron. The Barnum left Chicago harbor along with 18 others ships, including the steamer Minneapolis, which sank the day before the Barnum. The heavy weather and grinding ice in the Straits proved to be to much for the Barnum and she started taking on water. The tug Crusader came to her rescue and tried to move her into shallow water, but her efforts were also halted by the ice. The Crusader took the crew of the Barnum and they watched her vanish beneath the ice and waves on the morning of April 3, 1894. No lives were lost.

Present Condition
The William Barnum now lies upright and with a mostly intact hull in 74′ of water, facing due east, 5.5 miles southeast of the bridge in Lake Huron. The decks have fallen except for the bow area, where there are still penetration opportunities. The boilers and engine are also available for inspection. The stern is jumbled as a result of her rudder being removed with the use of dynamite in 1969. Her propeller is still visible through the wreckage. The rudder can be seen in St. Ignace between the Ace Hardware and the city marina.

 

TAYLOR, W. R. (1877-1925) aka DUNN, STUART H.

Not sure if this one has been relocated off Whitby Ontario

Year of Build:
1877
Official Number:
72964
CONSTRUCTION AND OWNERSHIP
Built at:
Marysburg (Milford), ONT
Vessel Type:
Schooner
Note: a “timber drougher”, ports in transom to haul large timbers of 2′ x 2′ white oak
Hull Materials:
Wood
Number of Decks:
1
Builder Name:
Coopers Yard
Master Carpenter:
George Dickson or Dixon
Original Owner and Location:
Charles Stewart Wilson, et al, Picton
Ownership Notes:
Reportedly, last schooner on Lakes to carry a square fore topsail
POWER
Power:
Sail
Number of Masts:
3
DIMENSIONS
Length:
131.25′
Beam:
25.17′
Depth:
12.5′
Tonnage (gross):
483.73
Tonnage (net):
457
FINAL DISPOSITION
Final Location:
South of Whitby, ONT
Lake Ontario
Date:
1925
How:
towed to deep water & sunk
HISTORY
1879 Owned, Leslie, et al, Kingston, ONT.
1880 Stranded North Fox Island, Lake Michigan; released by tug WINSLOW, taken to Detroit.
1883, Apr Raised, rebuilt.
1884, Sep 13 sank in Peninsular Harbor, Huron Bay, Lake Superior.
1884, Sep 26 Raised by wrecking tug INTERNATIONAL.
1888 Went ashore
1889 Rebuilt as STUART H. DUNN; 164′ 8″ x 26′ 8″ x 12′ 7″, 484 gross tons.
1910 Reduced to a tow barge.
1915 Owned C. LaBrecque.
1920 Collision with pier, sank, Port Dalhousie, ONT; recovered, not returned to service; later abandoned, Whitby, ONT.
1925 Sunk; owned John E. Russell, Toronto, ONT.

TAYLOR, W.R. Schooner. Home port, Kingston. Om Sept. 6, 1884 Schooner went ashore at Heron Bay, Lake Superior with a cargo of railroad iron; got off with hull damage of $5,000. Insurance $21,000.
Disasters to Lake Shipping, 1884
Cleveland Herald Nov. 28th. 1884

LOSS OF THE “W.R. TAYLOR.” — It was reported this afternoon that the schooner W.R. TAYLOR, owned by Mr. Leslie, and others, went ashore on the Manitou and became a total loss. It was only a few days since she cleared from Chicago with corn for Toronto at a very renumerative rate. The weather has evidently been very severe. The vessel is insured. The crew were composed of Kingstonians.
The W.R. TAYLOR was built at Picton in 1677 and owned by Messrs. Wilson, of Picton, and Lister, of Collins Bay. Her measure is 419 tons. She rates A 1 and is valued at $14,500.
LATER — Just previous to going to press we learned that the TAYLOR ran ashore near the South Minitores, (Manitous ?) which place she was making for shelter. The crew are saved, including the following: Captain, Simmons, Kingston; first-mate, Anthony LaRush, Wolfe Island; second-mate F. Thompson, Kingston; sea-man A. Felix, Kingston, brother-in-law of the President of the Sailors Union, Mr. C.W. Crowley.
Kingston Whig-Standard
November 24, 1880
THE TAYLOR ACCIDENT. — The schooner W.R. TAYLOR which went ashore at South Manitou, laden with corn for Toronto, has nine feet of water in the hold. Her cargo is a total loss, as the vessel will likely be. The vessel is insured for $13,000 on a valuation of $18,000, equally divided between the Orient, Greenwich and Manhattan Companies. The cargo consisted of 25,000 bushels of corn, shipped by Wm. Young & Co., and is insured for $12,000, equally dixided between the New England Mutual and Orient Mutual.
Kingston Whig-Standard
November 25, 1880
TAKEN OFF. — The schooner W.R. TAYLOR, ashore at the South Manitous, was successfully gotten off on Wednesday last, by the tug WINSLOW of Milwaukee. Two steam pumps were operated on the vessel. She will be towed to Milwaukee if possible. She is in fair condition. The expense of rescuing the vessel will be very large. There may be trouble regarding the matter as the owners had telegraphed to the Insurance Company that they had abandoned the vessel. The telegram was not received until after the expedition had set out.
Kingston Whig-Standard
December 10, 1880

Captain Martin Blackburn, the wrecking master, has made another excellent rescue. A dispatch from Glen haven, signed by Captain Blackburn, announces that the schooner W.R. TAYLOR is off and in the harbor at South Manitou. The corn cargo is of course a total loss, but the vessel is in fair shape. The tug WINSLOW did the pulling, and is now with the vessel.
The J.W. Hall Great Lakes Marine Scrapbook, November, 1880

The Canadian schooner W.R. TAYLOR that went ashore two years ago on the North Fox Island, lake Michigan, and was abandoned to the insurance companies and towed to this port, has been sold to Captain Henry Buckley for $4,500. She was pumped out and towed to the dry-dock today for repairs.
The J.W. Hall Great Lakes Marine Scrapbook, March/April, 1883

Schooner S.H. DUNN. Of 535 tons. Built at South Bay in 1877 by Dickson. Rebuilt in 1889. Owned by Dunn & Co. Home port, Kingston. REMARKS. — Formerly W.R. TAYLOR.
Inland Lloyds Vessel Register
Canadian Hulls, 1890

Schooner STEWART H. DUNN.* Built 1877.
* formerly schooner W.R. TAYLOR.
Name Changes from Registry Books of the Dominion of Canada,
on December 31, 1913. Sessional Papers Vol. XLV11 No. 16
Barge STUART H. DUNN.* Official Canadian No. 72964. Built at South Marysburg, Ont., in 1877. rebuilt at Fort Robinson, Ont., in 1889. Of 458 tons register. Home port, Toronto, Ont. 164.8 x 26,8 x 12.7 Owned by Russell Construction Co., Toronto, Ont.
* A recovered wreck.
List of Vessels on Registry Books of the Dominion
of Canada on the 31st. Day of December, 1933

No Comments

Categories: Still Missing

Tags: