1964: CHEMBARGE NO. 4, formerly a) JUDGE KENEFICK and b) H.J. McMANUS was towed out into Lake Huron by ATOMIC and ABURG and scuttled in deep water about 16 miles off Goderich after sulphuric acid began leaking into the bilges of the recently-converted tanker barge.
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter
Built at Hull England by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Ltd., Hull 647
Launched Jan 30, 1925
261’ LOA, 246’6” LBP, 43’1” beam, 20’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1000 IHP
Enrolled at Hull England
253.0 x 43.2 x 17.8, 1745 GT, 1119 NT Br 148430 to:
Eastern Steamship Co., St. Catharines ON, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port Hull England)
Entered service 1925
Enrollment transferred to Canada 1931 Can 148430 (home port to St. Catharines ON)
Sold Dec 29, 1936 to Upper Lakes & St. Lawrence Transportation Co., Toronto ON
Transferred 1953 to Norris Grain Co. (home port to Toronto ON)
Sold 1960 to Jemmig Enterprises Ltd., Chatham ON
Renamed H. J. McManus 1961
Sold for scrap 1961 to Marine Salvage Ltd. Resold 1962 to Tank Truck Transport Ltd., Point Edward ON
Converted to acid tank barge at Port Colborne ON and renamed Chembarge No. 4.
Acid found leaking from her cargo hold into her bilges in spring 1964. Towed into Lake Huron July 11, 1964 and scuttled.